Re: getting pcmcia cards to load before networking

On 14-Mar-2002 Nicholas Imfeld wrote:
> I cannot get dhcp to work when my computer first boots.  After the boot
> sequence completes I do init.d/networking restart and it starts right up.
> It doesn't work on startup because pcmcia cardmgr starts up after networking
> starts up.  Therefore when the network starts my network card isn't
> recognized yet (no eth0 device).  Does anyone know how to modify the startup
> sequence so that pcmcia interfaces are loaded before the networking
> interfaces.  Thanks

The dhcp client's init.d script should check for whether you are using pcmcia
or not.  The recent pcmcia scripts now use /etc/network/interfaces to control
the IP information just like a non-laptop computer does.  At the bottom of
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts should be a section that tries to run 'log ifup'.