Re: Windows XP + Linux

Hubert Chan wrote:
I don't see why you need to copy your LILO configuration to your C:
drive.  I would think that after you change your LILO config, you would
just need to rerun lilo, and that should be it.

This is necessary when, as Alex stated, you use the WindowsFOO boot manager. In that scenario, LILO writes the pertinent boot information to the head of your / or /boot partition (as instructed by you in /etc/lilo.conf). To make the Windows2000 or XP loader aware of this, the first 512 bytes of said partition must be written to a file (dd if=/dev/[lilobootpart] bs=512 count=1 of=/bootsect.bin), copied over to the Windows system partition (C:\bootsect.bin) and an appropriate entry added to the Windows boot.ini file (echo c:\bootsect.bin="Linux" >> boot.ini).

It is possible to replace the WindowsFOO boot loader with LILO and make Windows one of its options rather than the other way around (Linux one of Windows' boot options). If we knew Alex's drive partitioning scheme and his current /etc/lilo.conf, one of us could provide a drop-in replacement lilo.conf.