Re: Hints for notebook users

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 04:12:16AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> Some time ago, I wrote a small list of hints for people using
> Debian/Linux on noteboks.
>
> During that time I, I was more or less focused on hints
> regarding low memory, HD space and power (battery)
> consumption.
>
> [...]
>
> The page is at <http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/notebooks/> and
> although most of the hints are Debian-centric, some of the are
> even operating system-agnostic.
>
> [...]
>
> Looking forward for any feedback, Roger...

This is a very nice inititiative. I was looking for something like this,
especially now that the Battery-Powered mini HOWTO is so out-of-date
(1997).

I have some criticisms too, of course: It would be nice if you
elaborated some more on the why's and how's of some of the guidelines
you give, perhaps by refering to the relevant section in the
Battery-Powered mini HOWTO (it's not entirely obsolete). Also, some of
your tips have some unexpected effects: I tried the noatime option, and
mutt's system for detecting incoming mail in my mailboxes stopped
working :(.

Have you considered taking over the Battery-Powered mini HOWTO? I don't
mean to give you more work :), but it would be nice if it got updated.

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux mus 2.4.17mvz2 #1 Wed Feb 27 17:41:43 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Matijs