Re: hardware failure

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002 05:46, Thedore Knab wrote:
> When I transfer files, I get a hugh amount of collisions on one of the
> 2 ethernet cards I am transfering too.
>
> Running watch /sbin/ifconfig on 2 seperate machines on LAN.
>
>                         |--------------[Router]--[Internet]
>
> [Laptop] ------------[switch]----------[Server]
> collisions         no collisions     no collisions
> many
>
> Currently, I have received 110000 collisions during a 450M transfer.
>
> Is there any program that will test my hardware for problems ?
>
> I am also getting mismatch error like this:
> dmesg
> eth0: mismatched read page pointers 63 vs 6b.
> eth0: mismatched read page pointers 63 vs 6b.
> eth0: mismatched read page pointers 63 vs 6b.
> eth0: mismatched read page pointers 67 vs 77.
> eth0: mismatched read page pointers 51 vs 59.
> eth0: mismatched read page pointers 68 vs 70.
> eth0: mismatched read page pointers 76 vs 7e.

Whenever you give dmesg output you really should mention the kernel version.
Often the dmesg output changes between versions.  Also you should mention the
hardware/driver you use.

I checked the source for the latest pcmcia drivers and noticed similar
messages in the axnet_cs.c driver.  It appears to be from the card returning
the address to start reading which is not where it finished reading before.
So something strange is being done in the read buffers (could be a hardware
problem).

This isn't what I'd expect to see as a result of physical damage to the
PCMCIA bus.  It is what I expect to see from a cheap network card that
doesn't work correctly.

I recently bought myself a cheap 100baseT network card that has similar
problems (which I have not yet debugged).  I think that the real problem is
that there's a lot of junk hardware being sold.

Probably you should test it out in another computer to check if it's your
computer or the network card.  But I'm willing to bet it would be your
network card.