Compaq Presario 1722 experiences ?

I am thinking of buying a Compaq Presario 1722. Since I intend to run Debian on
it, I thought I could ask for some advice here.  Specifically:

- Does the built-in ethernet work ? I think it's a Conexant chip, but I'm not
entirely sure. On some (apparently similar) Presarios, it is indeed a Conexant
chip, but not everyone can get it to work, it seems.

- Does X work ? The graphics chip is an ATI Mobility Radeon 3D, according to
Compaq.

- Does sound work ? Once again, I don't know for sure what sound chip it has.
The Presario 1720 has an Intel chip that works, according to a page listed in
linux-laptop.net, but I can't find anything on the 1722.

- I have read that most new laptops no longer have APM support, only ACPI. I
don't really need any "fancy" power management features, apart from being able
to read the battery charge, but I understand that not even this will work on
all laptops. What can I expect ? Does the Presario 1722 support APM ?

Any other advice is also welcome.

Thanks.

Nuno Subtil
nsubtil@vega.dhis.co.it.pt