Re: APM signals cause lockup

On 26 Feb 2002, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> I just got done installing Sid on my Inspiron 8000 using one of the 100
> or so documents I found using a google search. However, after reading
> through all of them, I can't find any hints to this problem. I compiled
> kernel 2.4.17 from source, making sure to include the power management
> options, and installed apmd. However, any time an APM signal is sent,
> the computer locks, requiring a hard restart. This is REALLY annoying as
> when I put it on AC power after starting up on battery (or vice versa)
> it locks, so I'm limited to having to reboot much too often. I know my
> way around Debian rather well, but as this is my first time installing
> it on a laptop I'm sure that there are probably things that I'm not
> aware of that I should be doing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Disabling APIC by unsetting the kernel config variable CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC
fixed that for me on my 8100.  Note that this is APIC, not ACPI.

Jay Ford, Network Engineering Group, Information Technology Services
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242
email: jay-ford@uiowa.edu, phone: 319-335-5555, fax: 319-335-5505