Re: Dell Inspiron 2500 PCMCIA issues

sageFool wrote:

I have a Inspiron 2500, with debian/unstable installed on it.  I'm
running the 2.4.17 kernel (downloaded the source package and
recompiled a million times)

Me too, but I've only compiled about a thousand times :-)

I have PCMCIA support turned off in the kernel and am using the 3.1.31
(latest) sources to the pcmcia_cs stuff.

Not a good idea.

My current thoughts are that the PCI is amiss in someway. On start up
I get:

PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Unknown bridge resource 2: assuming transparent
Unknown bridge resource 2: assuming transparent
PCI: Using IRQ router PIIX [8086/244c] at 00:1f.0
PCI: Failed to allocate resource 0(f4300000-f42fffff) for 01:03.0
PCI: Failed to allocate resource 0(f4300000-f42fffff) for 01:03.1

"Unknown bridge resource" is OK, "Failed" is not...

Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.31
	kernel build: blah....

btw, apm doesn't work on this machine - should be:

(I'm presuming the [pm] means ACPI)

Intel ISA/PCI/CardBus PCIC probe:
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 01:03.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 01:03.1

So far, so good...

  Bridge register mapping failed: check cb_mem_base setting
  no bridges found.
ds: no socket drivers loaded.

Bingo - does dmesg mention Yenta anywhere? Should have come right after these messages. If I have understood correctly, you have to enable PCMCIA in the kernel to get Yenta.

Problems I have: Trying to set options in /etc/defaults/pcmcia I tend
to end up with messages that they are unknown options, even though I
am getting them out of the howto/docs.  For example
cb_mem_base=0xf4300000 produces: param param_cb_mem_base unknown.

You shouldn't need to specify it.
--
derek