Re: AMD's PowerNow?

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 04:50:07PM +0100, Markus Amersdorfer wrote:
> I know it's bit off-topic, but I'm going to buy a notebook (and of
> course install Debian), and I can't believe that AMD's PowerNow is not
> supported with Linux!? To me, this actually just leaves Intel-Processors
> as a reasonable choice. (Am I right assuming SpeedStep _is_ supported?)

Spudstop is not supported due to lack of documentation from Intel. They
have the misconception that the mechanism to change the clock speed and
core voltage on the fly is a trade sectret for x86 class CPUs, while
the same information is publicly available for their StrongARM range of
CPUs. Oh well...

> Or am I misinformed? IS there support for PowerNow?

Yes, there is support.

> Does anybody know if/when this will be possible?

It is available as a higly experimental patch to the linux 2.4 and 2.5
kernels. The CVS tree lives at http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/cvs/ ,
module cpufreq. Not all CPUs are supported equally well, so you'll have
to be a bit careful. For more information about clock scaling, see:

  http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/projects/scaling/

For information about the current linux-2.5 status, see:

  http://kernelnewbies.org/status/

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Faculty
of Information Technology and Systems, Delft University of Technology,