Re: Fujitsu Lifebook C-4235 and Woody

> I'm in the middle of my first attempt to get Debian running on a laptop
> and have encountered a few problems. I'm using Gnome, the default
> window manager, and Woody.
>
> Problem 1:
>
> When X windows are opened, they are too big to fit on the screen (800x600)
> and the top bar, where the window can be grabbed and moved, is off the
> screen so I end up with a pile of windows I can't move.

My laptop also has a card which speaks 1024x768 but only shows 800x600.
Use an external monitor during setup, and give yourself some screen modes
which are small enough to fit onscreen.    Once happy with things (including
testing at least one mode that *fits* onscreen) then make the mode that
fits and looks best your default, that is, the first one mentioned in the
line of XF86Config that mentions resolutions for a color depth.  The first
one is usually the highest it can handle, IIRC.

Sadly most "desk environments" assume you have LOTS of desk, so I use
fvwm (I can tell it where to put the darned buttonbar) or enlightenment
(incredibly themeable in regard to buttons that Do Things, or putting
things on menus instead) and only run Gnome and K apps, not their desks.

> This should be simple, but my knowledge of X goes only far enough to get
> it installed on MOST computers.  This one didn't fall into that category.

Luckily -very- few laptops have problems adding a CRT "in flight" - you
should be able to complete the config as long as you're near enough an
external monitor.

More work, if your horiz/vert syncs are too far from normal monitors (hope
not, you said it's a lifebook, right?)  you may have to visit a lucky pal
with an LCD monitor, or be willing to make lots of copies of XF86Config and
play a little by hand.

> Problem 2:
>
> The network setup files seem to have changed between potato and woody.
> Where can I find docs on this?

/etc/network/interfaces has a pretty simple layout... is that what you're
looking at, or are you using a PCMCIA card?

> I'd appreciate any help I can get so I don't have to install RH (which I
> know configures itself properly).
>
> Chip

Curiously enough if you got it working happily enough with X you can,
ahem, steal its config file.  As long as you make sure X is about the
same rev, and fix the fontpaths so they're correct, the monitor section
itself can be moved around wholesale.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...