Re: Stupid newbie question solved, plus more stupid newbie tricks !

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 07:57:54PM -0500, Owens, Christopher wrote:
> Hallelujah!
>
> Well, there's good news and a funny/sad story.  Now I understand why friends
> of mine said I probably knew enough about Linux to be dangerous.
>
> I am sending it all back to the list so the info will be searchable in the
> archives.

I know this is shutting the door after the barn burned (or something
like that), but here's some ideas that would have helped you recover
more gracefully from your quandry:

Once you're in X, then use CTL-ALT-F1 to get to a console. Login as
root, edit your config file (most likely /etc/X11/XF86Config-4) and
change the parameters you need. Also edit lilo to get back your boot
delay (I use 2 seconds) thusly:

delay=20

Remember to rerun lilo after editing lilo.conf

If you want to start in text mode, then start X manually, you need
to edit your /etc/inittab file. This is the line that counts:

id:2:initdefault:

Runlevel 2 is console startup using Debian.

HTH for future reference.

.b

--
Brian Bilbrey             "The ships hung in the sky in
bilbrey@orbdesigns.com     much the same way that bricks don't."