RE: Stupid newbie question solved, plus more stupid newbie tricks !

Hallelujah!

Well, there's good news and a funny/sad story.  Now I understand why friends
of mine said I probably knew enough about Linux to be dangerous.

I am sending it all back to the list so the info will be searchable in the
archives.

The good news is that several people wrote me to tell me to make a symlink
to /dev/psaux by doing 'ln -s /dev/psaux /dev/mouse' and that worked.
Thanks to everyone who responded!

The bad news is the last thing I had done before typing that was to change
the mouse setting in xf86config to 'Microsoft' instead of PS/2.  That made
the mouse pointer behaves unpredictably when X finally started.  Further bad
news comes in the form of settings I made at install time, telling it I
wanted a graphical login screen, and the fact that the window manager I
installed (Window Maker) doesn't understand keystrokes to move around the
screen.  The icing on the cake was that, knowing I was not planning to
dual-boot, I eliminated the number of seconds LILO waits before starting to
boot.

So on boot, I got a graphical login screen, and could log in, but it goes
directly to x-windows, where my Window Maker doesn't seem to understand any
keyboard commands, and my mouse pointer zips up to the upper left corner of
the screen and stays there.  I couldn't do anything.  I couldn't even exit X
to reboot!  I had to shut it down dirty.

Since I am at work, I didn't have my rescue floppy handy, so I went and made
a copy of tomsrtbt (http://www.toms.net/rb/), and while it was booting, I
looked up how to mount my hard drive.  When I mounted it, mount warned me
that I ought to run e2fsck.  When I ran e2fsck, it gave me a warning that
running it on a mounted filesystem might cause severe damage!

This left me in a quandary.  Should I access the drive while it was dirty?
Or risk the damage?  Fortunately I finally realized that what e2fsck meant
for me to do was unmount the drive, then run e2fsck, then remount it.  I did
so, and edited my XF86Config to put the right mouse (PS/2) back in.  After
the reboot, I could use the mouse to exit xwindows!

Next problem was getting rid of the graphical login screen I had specified
prematurely, xdm.  After searching around on the net and on my hard drive I
determined what I needed to do was '/usr/sbin/update-rc.d -f xdm remove'.

Finally X was working, but only in 640x480.  My laptop is capable of 800x600
resolution, so I went and found someone with the same laptop as I
(http://www.raster.com/950n/) who had posted their XF86Config.  I copied it
into /etc/X11/, but starting X only resulted in a message saying that font
'fixed' could not be found.  Comparing the two files, I noticed that the
donor file had only one line of 'FontPath "unix/:-1"' but the working (at
low res) file had about 12 such lines each with specific font names.  I cut
and pasted in the specific font names, removed the 'unix/:-1' line, and
tried again, and now it works.

The most important lesson I learned is don't install xdm until you know X is
solid, if ever!

Thanks again to those who helped!  And if anyone needs to get potato running
on an old AST laptop, I know more than I used to about the process.

Chris Owens