Xircom hangs on a Tecra 8000

Hi,

I have a Tecra 8000, running Debian 2.2r5, with a Xircom Fast Ethernet +
modem adapter. I got the pcmcia tools to work properly, everything (PCI bus,
pcmcia, ethernet card and modem) is using irq 11.

The Ethernet adapter is detected and configured. I tried to force the pcmcia
driver to use the resources that matched the most Win2000's configuration
panel, that is:

io_port = fd00-fdff
irq = 11
memory = <assigned by OS>

Actually, Windows reported an io list of fd80-fdff but the cardmgr didn't
like it, so I bumped it to fd00-fdff and it worked.

But as soon as I do an "ifconfig eth0 up", linux freezes. I can do nothing
but reboot. The leds on the card are still there, the system looks good but
frozen.

My kernel supports all the APM flags, serial irq and so on (as I found
earlier in the mailing list), the BIOS is set to Cardbus 16-bit, but still,
doesn't work. I tried different IO ports, different memory address, always
freezes. I tried to force it to fd80 for IO port, cardmgr complained about
not being able to allocate 136 IO ports (?).

If anybody can point me to a patch, a setting in the kernel, ANYTHING,
please help me !

Thanks !

--Stephane