Re: Wireless Access on Thinkpad T23

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 07:54:15PM -0800, Bryan Daniels wrote:
> I am running Debian 3.0 with kernel 2.4.16 on a
> ThinkPad T23. It has a built-in wireless
> capability--through a "mini-combo" PCI card. (It is
> *not* a PCMCIA card.) The wireless network adapter is
> a "IBM High Rate Wireless LAN MiniPCI Combo Card." It
> is made by Actiontec Electronics, Inc--it appears to
> have a PRISM chipset.
>
> Reading through various wireless websites and
> Wireless-HOWTO, I think that the driver/module for
> this adapter is either "Hermes" or "Orinoco".

Not excatly, there two main chips in wireless cards.
The prism2 chip and the hermes chip provided by lucent(now agere or
something).
One driver for this cardbus/pcmcia-cards is called
orinoco oder orinoco_cs(if you use pcmcia-cs).

> Amazingly, both are available as kernel modules. I
> have succesfully been able to modprobe both, but that
> is as far as I get. I am stuck. I am not sure what to

For pcmcia-cards you only have to load the orinoco modul
because the hermes-modul depens on it.

> Any suggestions would be most helpful.
>
> Bryan Daniels

Don't know how the minipci-card works, maybe you have no luck with it.

--

Henning