Re: IRQ Conflicts ?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:41, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Not wishing to start a debate, but just setting some facts straight here
>
> ???
>
> Given that Erik's 'facts' were correct, what's not to debate :-)  And
> what's wrong with debate anyway, as long as it doesn't degenerate to flame
> wars.
>
> My experience is that 2.4 support is excellent.  It's just a complete pita
> to configure :-(.

2.4 has always worked quite well for me.  I've got three thinkpads running
2.4.16+.  One of the three has PCMCIA problems it didn't have with earlier
2.4.x kernels (but as it doesn't have any use for PCMCIA cards it doesn't
matter).

Of the three machines, until recently none of them had IRDA working well
(recent 2.4.x kernels solved that for the newest machine).

Sound playback is fine, sound recording works but the quality sucks (internal
microphones in Thinkpads aren't much good).

Video works fine for both the kernel frame-buffer (VESA-fb) and X.

> (iirc, the 2.3 kernels were never intended for prime-time.  odd-numbered
> versions are developers toys)

That's the way it's supposed to be.  But look at all the changes that went
into 2.2.x and 2.4.x!

> got apm or acpi to work on my Dell Inspiron 2500 with _any_ kernel. :-(

ACPI is still very much in a development state.  I haven't had enough
expectation of it working to even bother compiling it (no offense to the
authors - what they are doing is very ambitious and challenging).

APM works fine for me except that sometimes it doesn't suspend when closing
the lid.

The three Thinkpads are 385xd, 600e, and T20.