Re: Flashing display [was: Why Linux on a Laptop? Reality Check.]

> I started with Progeny and am trying to shift to 100%
> Debian, however something -- possibly an artifact of
> Progeny -- is tripping things up and I cannot find it.

I know there are people working on this issue- progeny.com
said so.

But why hurry it?  The debian dependency system lets you
upgrade the bits and pieces you want and leave the ones that
work alone.  Upgrade the packages you need.
  apt-get update
  apt-get --simulate install pkg1 pkg2 pkg3
.. and then if it looks OK ...
  apt-get install pkg1 pkg2 pkg3
(I'm actually to lazy to do that exactly, so I have a little
script that does it for me...
  dinst pkg1 pkg2 pkg3
  dinst --doit)

My laptop, for example, needed XFree86 4.x to work right
(more below).  I got it from unstable.  But I didn't upgrade
everything to unstable.  Moste of my system is stable. (By
the way, if you use dselect, you may want to stop since,
unlike apt-get, it has a definite upgrade-everything bias.)

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 01:47:05PM -0500, Doc - KD4E wrote:
> "bash: X: command not found"

So the X stuff is not in the path in single user mode- that
makes sense.  You'd need
  /usr/bin/X11/X -probeonly

> > - Which X server you are using (or : trying to use)
>
> The default, left over from Progeny, is GRUB loading Gnome.

No, grub loads the kernel, the kernel runs the init script
which runs some scripts including /etc/init.d/gdm which
starts the X server and gnome.  I guess he was asking which
xserver- you have installed ... you can see this with
  dpkg -l '*xserver*'

> > - Video chipset
>
> 128bit NeoMagic MagicGraph graphics accelerator with video ram
> Zoomed Video support for both PC Card slots

My Neomagic (older chipset) didn't work well under XFree86
3.x, so I changed my /etc/apt/sources.list to point to
unstable and did an
  apt-get remove xserver-xxx
to get rid of my old xserver and then did a
  apt-get update
  apt-get install x-window-system
to get the x-server from the unstable series (4.1.x now)

> > - XF86Config configuration (videocard and monitor bits)

> Just ran "find -name XF86Config" and it returned nothing but the
> command prompt.

Typically it's at /etc/X11//XF86Config or /etc/X11//XF86Config-4

> - Any relevant log messages from /var/log/*
>
> There are 13 .log files in that directory, plus a bunch of other stuff.
> Could you help me to narrow the likely source of relevant data?

Given that gdm is probably starting X on your system, I'd
look for gdm logs.