Re: Why Linux on a Laptop?

--- Alec <alec1976nyc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm wondering what everyone's motivation is for
> using Linux on a laptop
> instead of Cygwin + Windows. The way I see it, a
> laptop is basically a giant
> PDA.

I have a few reasons for using linux and not windows
on the laptop I own.  For one, it runs linux fine. :)
It's an old toshiba tecra with a 150mhz processor and
only 64M of ram, and when windows 98 was on it, it ran
like a pig.  Woody/Sid with Gnome/Blackbox has no
problems running at speeds that don't remind me of my
old 286/12 like windows does.  Plus, I didn't have to
break the law by using my "backup" copy of windows on
it, I just downloaded Debian, and apt-get made
everything as current as possible.

>People usually use them for typing down stuff
> during classes, seminars,
> conferences, in the library,

I've done all that with my laptop and Debian, I don't
see where Windows would make it better.

>for presenting
> (powerpoint) material,

Never used Powerpoint, so I wouldn't know

>or for
> keeping all their mail and personal archives in one
> place, etc. Laptops don't
> get used much as servers or development
> workstations, are they?
>
> Alec

Well, I'm no programming guru (not yet anyway), but I
like using the tools available to me with Linux
anywhere I happen to find myself.  Yes, I could use a
windows machine i guess, but if i'm writing a program
for Gnome, and want to test it, I can do that on my
laptop.  I'm pretty sure Gnome doesn't run on Windows.

Empty_One

=====
_____
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin