Re: S-Video and Dell Inspiron 8000

On Tue, 2001-11-27 at 13:06, Matthias Weiss wrote:
> Hi Fabian,
> 	thanx for your tips, I should have noted that I have the
> ATI Rage Mobility 128 graphic chipset, simply forgot that there
> are 2 versions of I8000.

Of course... :(

Well, I guess I dont' know a direct answer, but I did find this:

--8<--
In other environments (i.e. DOS, Windows 3.1, NT, OS/2, and any other
environment in which the ATI video BIOS is properly initialized and
executed), the TV OUT hardware will operate at its DEFAULT SETTINGS.

The hardware defaults should function adequately in most circumstances.
Any adjustments required will need to be accomplished using the controls
on the television.

To enable TV OUT in these environments, connect a television to the
graphics card and reboot. To disable TV OUT, disconnect the TV and
reboot again.

ATI has not announced any intention to offer a method of adjusting the
TV image outside of the currently supported environments.
--8<--
(http://support.ati.com/infobase/2479.html)

But maybe you know this already.

On another page
(http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource_centre/dev_rel/linux.html), ATI
says:
"ATI is investigating the possibility of supporting TV Out under Linux.
Please refer back to this web page to keep up to date on developments
regarding TV Out support."

So... maybe there's some hope for the future...

> I've scaned all entries on www.linux-laptop.net as well as the
> linux-dell-laptops list on egroup.net.
> It seems that no one has got S-Video running with the ATI chip
> set.

Have you tried searching on http://groups.google.com/ ?

fab