debian potato, Adaptec slimscsi, aha152x_cs

Thinkpad 760el
Adaptec SlimSCSI 1460D

I can't make this card work with Debian, though it works ok with
another Thinkpad with RedHat installed.

When 'cardmgr' inserts the aha152x_cs module, this provokes scsi
"aborting command due to timeout" error messages and the system
becomes unuseable.  This kind of error is usually an indication
of interrupt problems.  On the RedHat computer, I got things to
work right by just adding a couple of "exclude irq" #'s to
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts, but this isn't working with the Debian
system.

When I exclude enough irq's to stop the errors, the aha152x_cs
reports that it can't find resources.  So I'm baffled.

Has anybody solved this problem on Debian?

--
Hugh Lawson
Greensboro, North Carolina