Re: How to Manage Linux laptops on and off the network?

Quoting Boutet, Jeff on Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 12:40:00PM -0800:
> I know this is more a sys admin thing. But it is somewhat relavent.
>
> My company is currently in the process of replacing all the Linux
> development desktops for laptops, as to increase our developers mobility.
> Thus the laptop will have to perform in 3 modes no network, our network,
> someone else's network (using DHCP). Other than custom scripts, run levels,
> rysc, anyone have any idea's?

I don't have such a complex setup but there are a few things I have
tried which have worked pretty well.  First thing I did and the one that
I still do is write schemes for pcmcia that allow me to use the same
kernel I am booting but with different labels in lilo.conf which will
switch on different network settings.  As an example, at work, I boot to
a dhcp-managed network, so I have a theme called "work" in my
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts file which has some network settings I need for
there.

Then I often take the same laptop home and use it wireless with a
orinoco Gold card and a RG1000.  I have a pcmcia theme and a label in my
lilo.conf called "home" which allows me to boot a set of network
settings for that environment.

This has worked very well for me and you can setup your lilo.conf file
to include label statements which will fire the corresponding section in
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts for the settings you need.

I also used this little program called netenv which you can apt-get
which will allow a lot of flexibility with regard to network settings.
I prefer the lilo.conf labels and the schemes in my
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts file.

BTW, I boot a debian unstable laptop which uses the 2.4.13 kernel for
both settings with no problems.

HTH.

--
Michael Perry | "Do or do not; there is no try" Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org