Re: dell inspiron 8100 + dlink 650 wireless pc card...

On November 19, 2001 06:05 pm, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> On Sunday 18 November 2001 23:28, Rob Hensley wrote:
> > I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 8100 along with a D-Link 650
> > wireless PC Card and a D-Link Wireless Access Point. I haven't
> > gotten them yet, but before I do I want to know a little about
> > how I can install debian on it. Does anyone know exactly what
> > disks need to be downloaded to do a net install and get my laptop
> > running sid? If so, do tell :) Also, what module does my wireless
> > PC Card use (if you know)? Last but not least, are there any good
> > web sites you can refer me to that explain more about linux
> > compatibility with laptop hardware and/or that of installing
> > debian on a laptop. Thanks in advance, Bye! :)

I had trouble with most of the pre-packaged kernels. I ended up using
kernel-2.2.19-pre17-idepci, download the minimal files (if you're
installing from Windows, download to a windows directory, reboot into
DOS, start Linux with loadlin), then apt-get dist-upgrade to get the
rest.

I don't know a thing about wireless cards - but when you get yours
working with the Dell, let me know - it's my next purchase :-)

derek