Re: kde & power savings

> The problem is that the hard drive will park (spin down) and then in <1
> second, spin back up again.  This repeats ad infinitum regardless of my
> activities on the desktop.

I've noticed the same thing on my Thinkpad 600, except I use blackbox
standalone for my window manager, and just run KDE apps. Whenever I launch a
KDE app, I get the same behavior.

> I switch to fvwm2 for a while to see if the problem would continue.  I
> did this because I know that gnome would also park nicely but had since
> Now, it parks just fine.  It's wonderful.  It's exactly as advertized.

When I run blackbox with NO kde apps, it works wonderfully. KDE starts a
bunch of communications daemons, specificly  dcopserver and kded. I know
that the dcopserver provides some sort of interprocess communication between
kde apps, which shouldn't have any disk overhead. The kded program, however,
is described as "KDE Daemon - triggers Sycoca database updates as needed."
Sounds fishy...
    I am going to try and take a look at this over vacation, and see if it
is indeed what is causing the disk writes.

---
Michael Gayeski
mrgayeski@students.wisc.edu