Re: Recognizing Kernel Update to 2.4.12 -- CORRECTION

eDoc wrote:

> > You need to untar the source:
> > root@hostname:/usr/src# tar -xvzf <kernel-source-whatever-filename>
> > After that, change the directory name to 'linux', so that your
> uncompressed,
> > untarred sources are in /usr/src/linux:
>
> The usr/src/linux directory that was missing before has been created,
> apparently
> for some reason a reboot was necessary for it to show up.
>
> Problem:
>
> I only have linux-2.4.12.tar.gz file in /usr/src ...
>
> "find -name *2.4.12*" only finds
>
> "linux-2.4.12.tar.gz file in /usr/src"
>
> What is wrong, please?
>
> I have tried everything I have found in man, doc, etc.  Nothing seems to
> successfully extract the 2.4.12 kernel-source everyone keeps referring to.
>
> Thanks!  Doc
>
> > root@hostname:/usr/src# mv <kernel-source-dirname> linux
> >
> > root@hostname:/usr/src# cd linux

The kernel tarballs from kernel.org are created in such a way as to
create a dierctory called "linux" inside your current directory when you
untar them.  Thus, if you got linux-2.4.12.tar.gz from kernel.org and
put it in /usr/src, then did a tar zxvf on it, the new kernel source for
2.4.12 is in /usr/src/linux.

Because of this, the first steps, before even unpacking the kernel
tarball, should be to either rm the /usr/src/linux symlink (usually it
is a symlink to another directory), or, if it is in fact a real
directory, to move it to a name like "linux-2.4.9" or whatever.  Also
because of this, after unpacking the new kernel tarball, it is
recommended that you move the newly created "linux" directory to
"linux-2.4.12" (in this case) and create a symlink from it to
/usr/src/linux (ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.12 /usr/src/linux).

	hth,
	patrick