Re: kernel & PCMCIA compilation

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 10:03:25PM +0000, Harry Palmer wrote:
> I'm a bit confused with how this works in Debian (in spite of the
> "we've greatly simplified this with Debian's kernel-package" etc
> etc....).
>
> I can see how every custom kernel build will necessitate a pcmcia
> package rebuild immediately after it. I used to do all this manually
> with slackware.
>
> I don't understand how running the make-kpkg utility can second-guess
> all the pcmcia configuration options - eg. apm support, cardbus
> support, etc... Could someone kindly enlighten me? Or at least point
> me to a document that gives a real-world example of the steps to build
> new laptop kernal and pcmcia sources with debian.

I was never able to find the right Debian way to do this either. Although I
admit I didn't look too hard.

After 2.4 the pcmcia stuff is all in the kernel. So I just did the make-kpkg
thing and the did the pcmcia-cs thing and everything was fine.

The one problem I had was that /etc/pcmcia/config had the wrong module[s]
"bound" to my card. My "orinoco" card was bound to the old wvlan module instead
of the new "hermes"/"orinoco"/"orinoco_cs" combo. No big deal, though.