kernel & PCMCIA compilation

I'm a bit confused with how this works in Debian (in spite of the
"we've greatly simplified this with Debian's kernel-package" etc
etc....).

I can see how every custom kernel build will necessitate a pcmcia
package rebuild immediately after it. I used to do all this manually
with slackware.

I don't understand how running the make-kpkg utility can second-guess
all the pcmcia configuration options - eg. apm support, cardbus
support, etc... Could someone kindly enlighten me? Or at least point
me to a document that gives a real-world example of the steps to build
new laptop kernal and pcmcia sources with debian.

Many thanks

H.