problem with /proc ?

I'm having a strange problem with my laptop (dell inspiron 7000), it
dual boots win2k and linux, and about every 3rd time I reboot something
goes awry.  If I'm booting win2k it gets about 3/4 booted then freezes
completely, if I'm booting linux it boots but complains about /proc not
being mounted.  I have read many posts about /proc not mounting, but in
my case the system works fine if I reboot again usually, which seems
rather odd to me. Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be ?
Thanks in advance,
Tyler
yyz@delta9.net