ALSA w/ i815 chip.

I'm trying to install the ALSA drivers on my sony fx210 laptop.  I have
installed
alsa-base
alsa-utils
alsaconfig
from testing.  When i run alsaconf i get the following error:

modprobe: Can't locate module snd
cat: /proc/asound/version: No such file or directory

alsaconf continues and i select my sound card (intel 815em) from the list.
At the end of the config program, it tries to open the alsa mixer i get
another error similar to the first:

Starting ALSA sound driver (version none):modprobe: Can't locate module
snd
 failed.
Setting the PCM volume to 100% and the Master output volume to 50%
The ALSA sound driver was not detected in this system.
Could not initialize the mixer, the card was probably
not detected correctly.

So i gather that i'm missing the snd.o driver.  Is this the alsa driver?
The testing packages recommend a package called "alsadriver" but it says
that it is not available.  Do i need this package?

Am i missing a module for my kernel?  I have the sound, soundlow, and
soundcore modules loaded. Has anyone had any success with alsa and the
intel 815em chipset?

Any ideas?