Re: CPU (Bios?) Lock with 2.4.12 on OB XE3

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 08:59:01PM +0100, Martin Skøtt wrote:
> This looks very interesting. When I think about it most, if not all, of my
> crashes has happened while scrolling. I have added the option to my X
> configuration and enabled SpeedStep (setting it to the value the machine was
> delivered with). I will return in a couple of days if it shows any sign of
> improvement.

Well, its been almost a week now since I wrote this and enabled ShadowStatus
in my XF86Config-4 file and I haven't experienced a single crash ever since!
And I enabled SpeedStep at the same time. So for the purpose of the archives:

If you have problem with seamingly random crashes on machine equipped with
an S3 Savage chip try adding Option "ShadowStatus" "on" to your X config and
see if it helps. It's a known problem and it might disappear now that S3 have
started development of XFree86 drivers themself.

Thanks to the many helpfull people who have answered my plea for help last
week. Especially to Alexander Clout who's feedback on SpeedStep was very
interesting :-)
--
Martin Skøtt
martin@z3n.dk