Re: Hi all

On 2001-08-13 dude wrote:

> Video  fbdev driver.  Does anyone know what video card this is or what
> drivers?

This is a driver that uses the framebuffer feature of the kernel.  It
should work on any video card as long as it is Vesa 2.0 compliant
(should be the case of every recent video cards).  You should check
the Framebuffer HOWTO [1] for more infos.

> CDROM : Does the follow blurb mean this mean i have to have scsi support ?
> "I've gotten the CD burning functionality working. I burned a Video CD
> image with the following command: cdrdao write --driver generic-mmc
> --device 0,0,0 vcd.toc. To make this work you have to get the ide-scsi
> module working. I haven't tried playing a DVD under Linux yet, but with
> the lack of hardware acceleration when using vesafb, it probably wouldn't
> be very useful even if it does work. "

Yes, you will need SCSI support.  SCSI cd drives can be emulated on
top of IDE drives with the ide-scsi module.  See the CD-Writing
HOWTO [2], especially section 2.

> SO, Ive gotten linux to install, but the the shell window is rather funky
> in that is only takes a middle portion of the lcd screen while leaving
> extremely wide areas of blacnk space around the whole text.  DO i have
> have framebuffers.

Once again, check the Framebuffer HOWTO.  Also, check the laptop
documentation to see if it can stretch its display to fit the whole
screen.

Hope this helps,

Andréas

[1] http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO.html