Re: _PCMCIA_"make_all"_errors

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Donnie Jones wrote:

> --- Manfred Wassmann <manolo@NCC-1701.B.shuttle.de>
> wrote:
> >
> > It won't help though I recommend using make-kpkg.
> > The problem is that the
> > modules stuff has changed a lot since 2.2.17 an
> > there are ifdef's that
> > look for kernel versions > 1.3.something. They won't

Sorry, that must of course read as 2.3.something not 1.3

> > #if (LINUX_VERSION_CODE < VERSION(2,2,18))
> > #if (LINUX_VERSION_CODE < VERSION(2,0,16))
> > #define init_waitqueue_head(p)  (*(p) = NULL)
> > #else
> > #define init_waitqueue_head(p)  init_waitqueue(p)
> > #endif
> > typedef struct wait_queue *wait_queue_head_t;
> > #endif
> >
> > When I compiled some third party drivers I had to
> > tweak some of those
> > ifdef's though they should be OK in the
> > pcmcia-source package. Mine is
> > Version: 3.1.22-0.1potato
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > --
> > Manfred Wassmann
>
> 	Actually, my intent is to use a third party driver
> for the IBM Etherjet card once I am able to actually
> get the pcmcia to compile.  I am not sure how to edit
> the k_compat.h file in order to fix my compiling
> problems, could anyone help me with this, or would it
> be better to install a different kernel version?

You should not have to edit k_compat.h. If the lines don't look like those
I've quoted you should check the version of your pcmcia-source package. It
may be too old. Or another thing which just popped into my mind:
Please go into the directory /usr/src and check if there is a symlink from
linux to kernel-source-2.2.18pre21 and if there is no link or if it points
somewhere else adjust that.

Then try if the pcmcia package compiles.

As the changes were made between 2.2.17 and 2.2.18 you might be better off
with 2.2.17 or a 2.4 kernel but I didn't try the latter with pcmcia yet.

BTW it is a bad idea that was suggested earlier to delete
/usr/include/linux. On Debian those files are used to compile application
programs only and have nothing to do with the kernel you are compiling.

--
Manfred Wassmann
PGP and GnuPG public keys available at http://germany.keyserver.net