Re: Back to Windows??

> Bud Rogers wrote:
>
> > Only you can decide which is the right choice for you.
>
> Very well-put.  But one can make life easier in a couple of ways:
>
>    * Get a computer with Linux pre-installed.  Yes, this is difficult for
>      laptops, and in spite of the Microsoft Tax, economies of scale tend to
>      keep Windows-preloaded machines cheaper than Linux-preloaded ones.
>    * Search the Linux Laptop Pages for supported features in laptops and
>      peripherals, and steer clear of Linux-unfriendly hardware.  Very often
>      these pages will offer very good step-by-step instructions on how to
>      setup various features in very little time, e.g. I got my Vaio's
>	XF86Config file from one of these.
>
> Unfortunately, neither of these is of much help to Jan at this point.
> I'm sorry this has been so difficult for you, and hope it will not deter
> you from future use of Linux on more friendly hardware.

Gosh, ready to give up already and he hasn't even asked what the other two
parts are.

::>	I'm busy with Linux every night, a week long, and still some
::>	thing does not work: my graphics-driver, my isdn modem, my
::>	sound card....
::>	SuSE ... and the printer is unsupported

Okay, so in the checklist:

modem:  he has not mentioned any normal modems yet, only the hisax/ISDN codec.
	A different thread continues to plug away on that one.

	p.s. win95 wouldn't have been happy with it either.  ISDN codecs
	are still fairly new devices.

graphics: nailed since he installed SuSE.  The nice thing about Linux is now
	that SuSE got it right, you can steal the configs from that, and its
	driver selection, and use them in a Debian setup.  Xfree86 is the
	same beastie under all varieties of Linux.

sound card: if you tell us what it is, we might know just the right thing.
	I know it generates extra confusion, but there are three major ways
	to get a sound driver in and working - you only need one of them.

	lspci output should help on this, common types are CS4281, Maestro,
	ESS Audiodrive, Yamaha...

printer: what kind?  We don't usually have any problems with locally
	connected HP-compatible or Postscript compatible printer. (Yes,
	a fair handful are both, and that works fine too).  Special
	support does exist for some interesting printers, even (gasp)
	at least one winprinter.  But we do need to know what it is.

	It helps a lot to install *something* to represent lpr;  we have
	more than one available, and they have their specialties.

	magicfilter is a booster package for regular lpr.

	lprng is, um, really powerful, I've barely scratched the surface
	of it, but it can work *very* nicely with less effort than I thought.

	rlpr is ideal for remote printers.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...