Re: Debian 2.2.4 & 3.?-woody -- Heads Up?

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Doc wrote:

>My intent is to format the HDD to clean things up -- is there a
>preferred method to the old dos "format c:" method?

Unless you want to physically to destroy your data on the
HD (for security reasons), there is no need to format the
hard disk. You should be able to just delete your old partitions
during Debian installation, and create new ones.

However, if you do want to delete everything, there are many ways.
To have perfect security, burn your harddisk with a hot flame.
Otherwise, dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda a couple of times should suffice.

>My plan is to start by loading 2.2.4 in hopes that it will boot and
>operate cleanly, recognizing my pcmcia nic, then I'll fire up Mozilla.

Well, unless you have installed Debian before or know how to
configure drivers manually, I wouldn't exactly recommend Debian.
It's a bit poor in autodetection (at least Potato), althought
great once up and running.