Dell Inspiron 4000 touchpad problem with gpm

Hi!

A recent version of gpm introduced bug #122203 ("gpm: Complete
operational failure with synaptics touchpad") which prevents me from
using my touchpad running woody on an Inspiron 4000 (which worked
without problems before). Trying do access it directly with X11 resulted
in nothing more than the cursor moving randomly on the screen.

Does anybody have a working configuration for X or access to an older
version of gpm which is not affected by this bug?

bye
  Jörg