Re: alt-get update via ADSL from command line?

> On Sun, 2001-12-16 at 17:21, Doc wrote:
> > Gee, Linux has a way to make me feel real dumb ...
> >
> > I am stuck at the command line due to an X conflict.  I need to
> > run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade for Debian Unstable to
> > see if that resolves things on my OmniBook 4100. (Or should
> > I grab a newer version of Linux instead?)
> >
> > Can someone suggest what generic Linux utility included with
> > 2.4.14 and/or Debian Unstable will cause my laptop to
> > recognize the Verizon-Westell ADSL modem?
> >
> > (I am running through a 3Com 589c pcmcia nic, if that is
> > relevant.)
> >
> > This all worked fine when I had access to X and could run
> > Mozilla -- it managed the interface and then I worked from
> > the command line.
> >
> > Thanks!  doc
> >
> Doc,
>
> If I understand you, your ADSL provider makes you login through a Web
> interface. If that's the case, you might try the command-line web
> browsers "links" or "lynx." apt-get install should get you either one. I
> think "links" is a little more flexible.
>
> Tony

links has the advantage of looking a little more like a normal layout, it
makes some attempt towards tabling and frames.

I'm personally fond of lynx-ssl though, and I set up metamail to use zgv
for images in text mode.  It doesn't make lynx intermix graphics, but with
the options set right, I can select the graphic and see what it looks like,
which might be handy if they have a screen shot or something.

I dunno if links has any means to hook up with metamail.

Some of my friends are very pleased with w3m though.

All 3 of them *can* support SSL, but I don't remember if they're all
available that way from the debian system.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...