PCMCIA, 2.4 kernels and ethernet

I have an ancient IBM multifunction card which provides me with 10Mbps
ethernet and a now useless 14.4Kbps modem.  This initialized perfectly
at startup with the 2.2.19pre17 kernel from potato.  With 2.4.9 I had to
compile in PCMCIA support, and at startup I'd then see "yenta_socket"
initializing, and except that I needed to add
  pre-up /etc/pcmcia/network start eth0
to /etc/network/interfaces it still worked fine.  Now I've downloaded
2.4.16-586 from woody, and I had a horrible time getting it to work.
cardmgr reports that it can't load i82365 and ds, and dmesg gives all
the info below.  The thing that has me confused is that the config
database includes my card, and it shouldn't (as I understand) be trying
to load i82365:

card "IBM w95 Home and Away Ethernet/Modem"
   version "IBM", "w95 Home and Away Credit Card "
   bind "pcnet_cs" to 0, "serial_cs" to 1

What's really surprising was that after I started 'cardinfo', and
pressed every button there a time or two, I got two beautiful beeps and
the card was working.

So why doesn't it initialize properly in /etc/init.d/pcmcia?  Why does
it look for the i82365 module (which isn't loaded now, even though the
interface is up)?  And where can I find something that tells me what I
should be doing.  I've read everything that I can find, and pcmcia
documentation seems pretty slim.

-
derek

PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 01:03.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 01:03.1
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 01:03.1
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 01:03.0
Yenta IRQ list 0c98, PCI irq9
Socket status: 30000410
Yenta IRQ list 0c98, PCI irq9
Socket status: 30000006
isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: No Plug & Play device found
Intel PCIC probe: not found.
cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0800-0x08ff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x4d0-0x4d7
cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
eth0: NE2000 Compatible: io 0x300, irq 3, mem 0xc8985000, auto xcvr,
hw_addr 00:04:AC:84:25:DB
serial_cs: no usable port range found, giving up
serial_cs: RequestIO: No more items
eth0: NE2000 Compatible: io 0x300, irq 3, mem 0xc8985000, auto xcvr,
hw_addr 00:04:AC:84:25:DB
serial_cs: no usable port range found, giving up
serial_cs: RequestIO: No more items
eth0: interrupt from stopped card
eth0: NE2000 Compatible: io 0x300, irq 3, mem 0xc8985000, auto xcvr,
hw_addr 00:04:AC:84:25:DB
serial_cs: no usable port range found, giving up
serial_cs: RequestIO: No more items
eth0: interrupt from stopped card
memory : c74d29e0
memory : c74d2a20