Kernel 2.4.16 & wvlan_cs

I have a D-Link Air DWL-650 pcmcia card that I use with the wvlan_cs card (since 2.2.16). This morning I patched up my kernel to 2.4.16 and compiled it up (make-kpkg kernel_image) and installed it.
It didn't like the wvlan_cs driver as their isn't one in the kernel.

So, I recompiled the pcmcia-3.1.29 version of the same and did a "depmod -a". That got me back online OK.

But I was wondering if there is any better way to manage this.

Also, I was told that orinoco_cs is the better driver to use. But when I loaded that into the /lib/modules..... and did 'depmod -a' it got really pissed -- unmet symbols or such.

Is there a better way?