Re: wvlan-card not properly recognized

I happen to use the Gold version of that card in my laptop, and I had a
few problems when I first tried to use the card.

My first problem was the driver - The wireless.opts file is a little
confusing, but it seems that the orinoco lucent card is the Lucent
Wavelan/EE card.  That card uses the wvlan driver, not the wavelan driver.
The orinoco driver off the website for that is not really very functional
in this regard either.  I had too many hassles with it, and besides I
wanted to use the standard kernel drivers.  Kernel 2.2.20 works fine for
it.  So far I have not had the time or interest to get the 2.4 kernel
working with it... so far I have not really heard of anyone who pushes
their system getting much use out of the 2.4 kernel (want a laugh?  Try
SMP & Raid on it... raid failures every couple of hours for no reason it
seems that the kernel gets race conditions in the raid driver when you
hit the SCSI bus really hard.  Oh, and 2.4.15 randomly corrupts
filesystems on unmount).

All in all, I much prefer using the standard verified kernels that Debian
provides as a basis... though I do run a little cutting edge on the kernel
(as in I actually upgrade it to the latest of the base revision -> ergo if
debian installs 2.2.16 then I will go to the highest debian packaged 2.2.x
kernel).  This helped me solve my orinoco problem a little as well.

Okay, then for the iwconfig program... you will need to install the
wireless-tools package if you want to use the encryption for the card
(though with a silver card you have to remember to stick to 40-bit and not
try to use the 128-bit, the card won't recognise it, and all you will have
is major hassles - I would recommend the shift to a gold card when you
can, they make life much simpler).

Also - upgrade the firmware in the card.  This will require running
windows for a bit to do this, so if your system does not dual-boot, then
you are stuck... I have already contacted the manufacturer about this -
but so far - no luck... I will see what happens from here on out though.

Hopefully this will help you a little more than before...  If it doesn't
help, then drop me a line off-list, and I will email you a tarball of my
/etc/pcmcia directory (with all wireless keys removed though *lol*), which
might help with your configuration.

Oh - make sure you are running the latest pcmcia-cs package if you upgrade
your kernel at all.

Regards,
	Cassandra