Re: Solved (was: Re: Newbie Question (again (: ))

On November 21, 2001 04:40 am, Ines Rieger wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> > I have a GR150K which also have a SoundMAX (according to
> > windows).
> >
> > I've tried alsa and OSS with recent 2.4 ac kernels.  The
> > ac87/i810 modules will load and report the presence of the card
> > but /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp don't seem to work correctly.
> > If you cat a bunch of bytes into /dev/dsp it will make modem-like
> > noises but it doesn't seem to support the ioclts of xmms etc..
> >
> > As soon as 2.4.15 is out (with ac merged in) I was going am going
> > to look deeper into this.  First thing to do is turn on debugging
> > for the ac87/i810 modules write some test code and send the
> > results to the maintainer.
> >
> > Anyone ever had any success will SoundMAX on VAIOs?
>
> YES! ((: Finally, I got it working. The sound module i810_audio
> works perfectly with a SONY Vaio FX203K and a SoundMAX. I think,
> it'll do for the most VAIOs with an i8xx-chipset.

OK, so Ines says it works with i810_audio, and Sam (?) says it
doesn't - what's the difference?  My Dell i2500 also has an i810, and
gives exactly the same results as noted above - the modules are
loaded and reported to work (and the error on /dev/dsp when I log
into kde goes away) but  no sound :-(
--
derek