Re: Hardware probem (was: Re: tpconfig...)

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 08:22:46PM +0100, lintux@lintux.cx wrote:

> I have more something of a hardware problem. My laptop works PERFECTLY.
> (Dell Latitude XPi P133ST) It runs Woody for some days now, which is a nice
> thing too. But yesterday the thing started to do strange things. It turns
> itself off and can't be switched on again. When I try to switch the thing
> on, the power and two battery LEDs blink (and also the keyboard LEDs IIRC)
> but nothing else happens. But when I remove the cover etc and try again, the
> thing works like nothing happened... Sounds like some sort of electricity
> failure, but that doesn't explain the blinking LEDs. At least not to me.
> (They don't blink when there is no battery/AC..)
>
> Anyone else knows this weird behaviour? :-/

My Dell I3700 started doing something similar a couple of months ago -
symptoms included:
- sudden unexplained freezes - sometimes even while in the BIOS setup
  at boot (!)
- often failure to boot - but keyboard leds were trying to communicate
  *something*.

I believe it was something to do with the screen, as I could
*consistently* get it to crash/hang/reset by attempting to shut the lid
- just moving it a few mm seemed to have a nasty effect. Running with
the lid completely open seemed to help somewhat :-( Dell wanted 200 UKP
just to do a diagnostic (past warranty), and repeatedly pointed out to
no avail that Linux was not supported, while I was trying to explain
about the hardware problems...

I never got a solution (apart from a brand-new laptop from my company),
but I'm going to send it in to a local guy for attempted repairs.

Be sure that you have backups - sounds like your hardware is going
bad...

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com