Re: kernel & PCMCIA compilation

On 11 Nov 2001 22:59:16 -0500, Brian Flaherty wrote:

>Harry Palmer <harrypalmer@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I don't understand how running the make-kpkg utility can second-guess
>> all the pcmcia configuration options - eg. apm support, cardbus
>> support, etc... Could someone kindly enlighten me?
>
>My very under-informed guess is that when you run configure for the
>pcmcia, it asks where it should gather information, from the running
>kernel or from the configuration in /usr/src/linux.  I suppose that it
>gets most (if not all) of what it needs from the kernel config of the
>new kernel.
>
>> Or at least point
>> me to a document that gives a real-world example of the steps to build
>> new laptop kernal and pcmcia sources with debian.
>
>Again, there is the PCMCIA-HOWTO and a Debian README in the pcmcia
>source package.  Those were all I used.  HTH.

Hmm... this is my point really. I've read those notes too and there's
no instruction to run "configure" anywhere that I can see - just
make-dpkg on the unconfigured downloaded pcmcia source! There is
however an option to "make config" in the root of the pcmcia source
tree - this may be a debian thing(?)  In fact, could it be that this
is what you do if the default answers you would get from running
"configure" aren't what you want? I know standard configure script
defaults to cardbus support, which my laptop certainly doesn't have.

I'm a bit suprised that this place wasn't populated by guru's ready to
tell me how simple I am and point me in the right direction, (nothing
antagonistic intended in that remark - I'm extremely grateful for any
replies offered  :)

H.