Re: Mobile network configuration

On Thu, 2001-11-01 at 02:02, David Z Maze wrote:
> I have a fairly new laptop running Debian unstable.  It has on-board
> MiniPCI 802.11 wireless (yay!).  I'm using kernel 2.4.12, with the
> driver modules from the pcmcia-source package (specifically, the
> wvlan_cs module).
>
> What I'd like to do is have the laptop automatically detect the local
> network and configure itself appropriately at boot time.  In
> particular:
>
> -- If I'm at home, use a known static IP address.
> -- If I'm at work, use one set of access points preferentially over
>    another, and get an address via DHCP.
> -- Otherwise, use any access point that's available and get an address
>    via DHCP.

I run whereami in the script that runs on insert of my WLAN card so that
it reconfigures my laptop for that environment.  My configuration is
slightly different in that I have mostly DHCP-assigned ethernet
addresses at various work locations and use WLAN at home.  I no longer
have any static IP anywhere, although whereami includes an easily
customised sample test for this situation.

Since my WLAN access point provides a DHCP address I modified the
example DHCP test to look for the appropriate DHCP address on the
different ethernet device.  This is now included in the current package
as "35wireless-lan".

If you use multiple access points, and can't know the appropriate
nameserver / routing configuration in advance, you could extend the
whereami utilities scripts to parse this information from the data
returned by DHCP - I have only one WLAN location at this stage, so I
haven't done that.

Regards,
					Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267