Re: Mobile network configuration

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 02:24:03PM +0100, Andy Toenz wrote:
> On Wednesday, 31. October 2001 14.02, David Z Maze wrote:
> > What I'd like to do is have the laptop automatically detect the local
> > network and configure itself appropriately at boot time.  In
> > particular:
>
> try laptop-netconf (available as deb-packet) !
> perhaps what you're seeking...
>
> "laptop-netconf can automatically determine the network to which
>  your laptop is connected, from a set of preconfigured alternatives."

You could also try using 'intuitively', which is a similar package.  It is
what I'm using to configure my laptop automatically for home or work, but
in both cases I have a static IP address, so I don't know about configuring
dhcp at all (although I would like to set that up at some stage).
Intuitively can determine where it is by trying to contact prespecified IP
addresses and (optionally) seeing what their MAC address is.  Intuitively
is pretty flexible, and seems pretty nice.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/