Re: The SpedStep crash problem ...

On Wed, 2001-10-24 at 09:53, alexander.clouter@ic.ac.uk wrote:
> Clayton Carter [crcarter@cs.indiana.edu] wrote:
> >
> > 	For what it's worth, I've a Dell Inspiron 7000 running 2.2.19
> > and SpeedStep seems to work fine.  Well, in so far as when I plug the
> > machine in /proc/whatever says 700MHz and when I unplug the box it's
> > reported as 550.  I've always assumed that this meant that it worked,
> > though I've never taken any measures to enable/disable it.
> >
> apparently the problem really only occurs going from a high speed to a low
> speed (or is it the other way round) :)  I guess is a kinda "your mileage may
> vary" sort of thing :)

It is the other way around - if the timing loops don't have enough loops
in them, everything unravels!

If you want reliable computing on a speedstep machine you would be
advised to always boot with the mains attached, or failing that: reboot
before attaching to the mains.

I almost always boot with mains attached, and operate in a mix of
battery and powered environments, with the laptop suspended when I go
from one to the other.  I regularly manage periods of more than a couple
of weeks between reboots with a 2.4.4 kernel, running unstable.

Regards,
					Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267