Re: irda

Tom Allison [tallison1@twmi.rr.com] wrote:

> Then does the following make any sense:
> I used to configure this as a /dev/ttyS1 serial device
> ttyS1 is associated with io 2f8.
> nsc-... is associated with io 2e8
> Windows/Bios show this as io 0x02f8, irq 3, dma 3
>
> Can I just change the serial device?
>
> I've never changed the BIOS, or the Windows set up on this.  I'm
> wondering if I messed something up with some 'setserial' upgrade that I
> handled poorly.

If I remember
COM1=ttyS0 io 3f8 irq 3
COM2=ttyS1 io 2f8 irq 4

this is the *default* very compatible settings.  As for setserial it has
caused me tons of problems before so I removed it, leave the serial port
configuration to the kernel :)

> Alexander - the patch for this nsc-ircc driver I will assume is in the
> stable tree as I had it working for some time under Debian 2.2r2.  It
> broke when there was an irda upgrade and I couldn't get it working for
> the longest time.
>
> NEWS: According to the IR HOWTO, I did a 'setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none
> port 0x0 irq 0' and it's better.
> If I start jpilot and change the device to /dev/{anything} <this is a
> problem>
> I get (from irdadump) some discovery information that includes [Computr
> IrCOMM ] and [ PDA/Palmtop IrOBEX ] (it's a PalmPilot Vx).
>
> But if I try to specify the device as 'irdadump -i /dev/ircomm[0 or 1]'
> I get "ioctl: No such device"

alex[alex]@digriz:~$ ls /dev/ir* -l
crw-rw----    1 root     root     161,   0 Sep 25 14:48 /dev/ircomm0
crw-rw----    1 root     root     161,   1 Sep 25 14:48 /dev/ircomm1
crw-rw----    1 root     root     161,  16 Sep 25 14:48 /dev/irlpt0
crw-rw----    1 root     root     161,  17 Sep 25 14:48 /dev/irlpt1

(as you probably have been posted) but what you need to do, for each of them
is

mknod /dev/ir<whatever> c 161 <second>

where <first> would be the second number after the root column, so for
ircomm0 it would be 0.

Once this is done the serial port emulation is done with ircomm0 (after doing
an "irattach /dev/ttyS1") or something.

If you need more details do ask

Alex

--
( BOFH excuse #359:                    )