Re: irda package

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Tom Allison wrote:

[snip]

> This is where I get confused, because some of the information I've found
> on the web have specific instructions for 'mknod /dev/irda0 c 160 0'...

this device doesn't exist here

> I guess the first thing I should get an answer to are these two questions:
> Can I actually run with with ttyS0 as a regular serial port and ttyS1 as
> a IR port?

IMO ttyS1 can never be a IR port because you always need the modules irda,
irtty ircomm ircomm-tty which are providing the device /dev/ircomm0

> If I'm trying to communicate with a PalmPilot Vx, should I load ircomm,
> irda, irtty, or some combination thereof?

if you do an 'irda start' and have defined the correct aliases in
/etc/modules.conf the modules should be loaded automatically

#### modules.conf
### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/irda
alias tty-ldisc-11 irtty
# The following is for new kernel.
alias char-major-161 ircomm-tty

# ll /dev/ir*