RE: Dell 8100

    JV>  I have the 8000 with the ATI Rage Mobility, and I still can't
    JV> XFree86 running, it has been four months of pain.  I hold out
    JV> hope for the next release of X, but if that fails me, I'm going
    JV> to have to go do RH.  (Better than Windows I suppose, but still
    JV> not Debian)

Let's see, you have:

  - not mentioned what kind of display you have on your Inspirion 8000
    (SXGA, UXGA, etc.)
  - not mentioned which Debian dist you are running (potato,
    testing/woody, sid)
  - which version of XFree86 you have been having problems with
  - not provided any kind information about the problems you are having
    with XFree86 (providing /var/log/XFree86.log for example)

If you provide some information, maybe we can help.

FWIW, I am running XFree86-4.1.0 (Debian sid packages) on my C800 at
1600x1200@24bpp, which has a UXGA screen and an ATI Rage Mobility M4
video card w/ 32Mb RAM.

If your are running Debian "sid" and your I8000 has a similar display as
mine, I'll be glad to send you my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com