Dell 8100

I'm considering picking up a Dell 8100 laptop.  I've seen a
number of web sites affirming that the Dell 8000 is
compatible with Linux in general and Debian in particular.
I've seen nothing, however, on the 8100.  With laptops, a
minor upgrade in model number can signify anything from a
difference in the amount of memory installed to a completely
different motherboard and components.  Anyone familiar with
the 8100 and it's compatibility with Debian?

Also, I know that choice of laptop brands and models is
highly subjective, but I'm open to recommendations for
alternatives that are feature and price competitive with the
Dell 8100.