Re: ssh port-forwarding and UDP-connections

alexander.clouter@ic.ac.uk wrote:

The only ways I could think of you getting a secure UDP channel is to use
IPSec (if it actually does UDP).  However as UDP is only used in
games/video/audio streaming there shouldn't be a need for encryption,
officially.  However for things like video/audio converferencing there should
be encryption built into the package that will secure the connect for you.

IPSec does not use UDP for secure data transer. I think it uses GRE. However it does use either UDP or TCP (can't remember which one) for it's control/signalling.

You could try looking at CIPE. It implements a VPN over UDP. Go the CIPE website to find out more. It uses UDP rather than TCP because you can get some really ugly things happening if you tunnel TCP within TCP. Basically timeout/resend issues at both layers.

Brendan Simon.