Re: ssh port-forwarding and UDP-connections

A. Demarteau (linux rules!) [linux@disnet.demon.nl] wrote:

> I need to use a local service form my laptop (remote location).
> Thi is an udp connection.
> Now I was wondering if it is possible to forward udp-connections over an
> ssh-tunnel.
>
> I know it's possible for tcp-connections, but this has to be udp.
> Any suggestions?

not really a laptop mailing list question, but you have mentioned a laptop so
I guess it counts :)

The simple answer....you can't!  If you could the performance would be
horrible!  The uses of UDP is for real time applications, to use ssh with UDP
packets you would have to tunnel the UDP through TCP at one end and then
convert it to UDP at the other.  If one of those packets go missing then the
whole thing will stop until that missing packet gets through.  This can me a
number of seconds (anything between 5 and 60 sometimes).

The only ways I could think of you getting a secure UDP channel is to use
IPSec (if it actually does UDP).  However as UDP is only used in
games/video/audio streaming there shouldn't be a need for encryption,
officially.  However for things like video/audio converferencing there should
be encryption built into the package that will secure the connect for you.

sorry I cannot be more helpful but in a word you cannot do ssh+udp=works :)

Alex

--
( BOFH excuse #380:                   )