Re: Next step?

Søren Neigaard <neigaard@e-box.dk> writes:

> Ok I will give Sawfish and Gnome a try. A few more questions then :)
>
> If I install sawfish-gnome, does that meen that I have also installed
> Gnome, or do I need to install Gnome separate?

GNOME is separate.  Installing sawfish-gnome installs sawfish built
for GNOME (so the configuration program works with the gnome
configuration tool and that sort of thing).

> What are the difference between Testing and Unstable?

unstable is where the development happens.  And it breaks, sometimes.
Packages move (automatically) into testing after a couple of weeks,
provided certain criteria are met (to do with not having bugs
outstanding against them, mostly).  So testing is a safer version of
unstable, since obviously broken packages don't get put in testing
(that's the theory, anyway---it doesn't work perfectly).

> Should I upgrade to testing/unstable first, or install sawfish first
> (will sawfish upgrade together with the rest of my system)?

It's up to you which you do first, and yes, "apt-get dist-upgrade" or
"apt-get upgrade" will upgrade all packages that are installed if
newer versions exist in the sources you specify in
/etc/apt/sources.list.  (The normal way of keeping a system up to date
is to run "apt-get update" every now and again followed by "apt-get
upgrade" or "apt-get dist-upgrade".)

[...]

--
Bruce Stephens			Bruce.Stephens@MessagingDirect.com