From: Søren Neigaard [mailto:neigaard@e-box.dk]
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 11:25 AM
To: Glen S Mehn; debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re[2]: Next step?

Thursday, October 11, 2001, 7:39:37 PM, Glen wrote:

GSM> a quick guide to apt (there are docs-- install doc-linux-text, and
you'll
GSM> end up with lots of docs in /usr/share/doc, including a guide to apt,
and
GSM> dpkg, the debian packaging system)
Have looked at it, some more questions :)

GSM> apt-get update -- this updates a local database of packages that are
GSM> available. This gets the sources from /etc/apt/sources.list. Things you
want
GSM> inthat file (at least):
GSM> the reference to 'security.debian.org' uncommented. This is for
security
GSM> updates.
GSM> a pointer to 'stable' packages
Should I uncomment the security line? My machine is a workstation, not
a server, is this needed?

GSM> you may _or_may_not_ want a pointer to testing packages. If you do,
things
GSM> are likely to break. But, then, you'll learn more in trying to fix
them, so
GSM> it's up to you.
I need some help here. Do I make a pointer to each package, or to a
place where packages can be found?

What do you recommend, what do I gain from running testing packages?
Would it be smart when it comes to X?

GSM> apt-get dist-upgrade-- if you want to update the core system of yours
to the
GSM> next release (say, potato to woody)
What is woody, does this include a new kernel?

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards,
 Søren Neigaard mailto:neigaard@e-box.dk